New Rules For The New-construction Market
According to the NAHB, a construction-to-permanent loan has several advantages, including offering "buyers some valuable bargaining points for obtaining a lower sales price."
New-home buyers struggling to come up with a sizeable down payment should consider FHA or VA construction loans, says Melman.
Daria Pestone recently took out a construction-to-permanent loan with TD Bank to build a four-bedroom, four-and-a-half bath house in Greenwich, Conn.
Pestone found a builder who offered personalized service and fit within her family's budget. In addition to saving for a down payment, Pestone advises buyers to save for the surprise costs they're bound to encounter. "Building your own home is an overwhelming process," she says. "I recommend really researching the builder. Make sure to have your financing in check. A lot of surprises can come along."As well, make sure that you've settled on a general contractor or builder before you start looking for a lender, since the lender will be looking for this when they are underwriting the loan, explains Kinane.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV