Unemployment Seen Rising in Last Pre-Election Jobs Report
Already, the sales of S&P 500 companies, which account for about 80% of publicly traded enterprises, are flat, and business investment fell in the third quarter. Sustaining profits will require layoffs.
By mid 2013, the economy may well be in a recession from which it cannot easily be resurrected -- a depression -- caused by fundamental problems not addressed by President Obama.
The growing trade deficits on oil and with China have been a huge drain on domestic demand, and those kill nearly 10 million jobs.
If elected, Governor Mitt Romney promises to tackle China's undervalued currency and other mercantilist policies that run up the U.S. deficit with the Middle Kingdom, and open up more offshore and Alaskan oil reserves for development. Those polices would quickly boost demand and get the economy back on track.In the longer term, Romney policies to lower the trade deficit would substantially increase R&D spending, enough to permanently boost U.S. growth by several percentage points. An economy growing at 4% or 5% a year, instead of its current 2%, would have far more resources to address issues like health care, the solvency of Social Security, an adequate national defense, and space exploration. The choice this election is simple -- more of the same, high unemployment and perhaps a permanent recession, or a new course that gets the economy growing more rapidly again. Follow @PMorici1 This article was written by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV