BOSTON, Oct. 31, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Varian Medical Systems (NYSE: VAR) highlighted the company's technologies for the non-invasive treatment of lung cancer at the 54 th annual meeting of the American Society for Radiation Oncology (ASTRO) in Boston this week. Many of Varian's cancer treatment systems can be utilized for attacking lung tumors—which often move during treatment—very precisely, with carefully-shaped, high dose X-ray beams.
"Our latest treatment systems have integrated tools designed for 3- and 4-D imaging, treatment planning, patient positioning, treatment delivery, and motion management, including high resolution beam-shaping and real-time tumor tracking," says Kolleen Kennedy, president of Varian's Oncology Systems business. "These capabilities will further enable efficient, accurate treatments for some forms of lung cancer. Clinicians will be able to use them to more efficiently plan and deliver a personalized radiotherapy or radiosurgery treatment based on each patient's clinical needs."
Lung Cancer Treatment Technologies
Numerous Varian technologies that were on display at ASTRO this year are particularly applicable for planning and delivering lung cancer treatments. They include solutions for patient positioning, motion management, and treatment planning, as follows:Patient Positioning
- The PerfectPitch™ six-degrees-of-freedom (6DoF) treatment couch, * which was designed to provide access to tumors from more angles, giving clinicians more flexibility for carrying out stereotactic radiosurgery procedures for lung and other tumors. It will be fully integrated into the newly-launched EDGE™ Radiosurgery Suite * and is also available for the TrueBeam™ system.
- An advanced motion management package, * available on the EDGE and TrueBeam systems, which offers clinicians more options for using real-time imaging during radiotherapy treatments. It also enables expanded use of fluoroscopy and 4-D cone-beam CT—imaging techniques that show motion over time—to better compensate for tumor motion during treatment.
- The newly enhanced Calypso® system * for real-time tracking of tumors that are subject to respiratory motion, which enables adaptation if the magnitude of tumor motion changes during a treatment, and is compatible with the couch rotations that are often used to optimize targeting during stereotactic treatments in the lung.
- Calypso anchored Beacon® transponders *, which are position signaling devices that can be implanted in the lung, as well as surface Beacon transponders, allowing different approaches to real-time tracking of respiratory and other patient motion during treatment.
- Treatment planning tools now include thoracic anatomy templates and automated contouring of 4-D CT images (which obviates the need to draw contours manually on multiple image sets from each phase of the respiratory cycle).
- Acuros™ dose calculation algorithm for accurate dose calculations in areas like the lung, where tissue density varies, as well as analytical tools that enable clinicians to determine the dose levels likely to reach nearby critical organs when treating tumors that shift position from day to day.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV