Atmos Energy (ATO) is forming a channel of its own -- it's just pointed in a different direction. For Atmos, the channel is moving sideways after this stock has been rallying from its late March lows. Basically, ATO is consolidating right now in a pattern called a rectangle; shares are treading water as investors figure out what to do next. Again, though, the fact that a channel has restricted price action helps us to find a trade in this stock.
At the top of the channel, we've got a resistance level at $36.75, and at the bottom, we've got horizontal support at $35. Essentially, we're waiting for a breakout through one of those prices to give us our trade signal. Typically, rectangles are continuation patterns, which means that they resolve in the same direction as previous price action. For ATO, that makes more upside a likely outcome in November.
That said, it's critical not to be early on this trade. $36.75 is our resistance level for a good reason -- it's a price that's holding a big glut of supply of shares. Until that supply gets absorbed by buyers, ATO can't move higher by definition.Wait for the breakout to happen for this to become a high-probability trade.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV