Consol credited West Virginia officials in Tuesday's statement for issuing the necessary state-based permits for the project. But with Tomblin running in this year's election, his GOP opponent slammed the incumbent over the layoff news.
The Republican nominee, Bill Maloney, has sought to tie Tomblin to President Barack Obama, who is unpopular in West Virginia, and argues that Tomblin has failed to fight Obama and his EPA.
"I'm supporting Mitt Romney so that we can get our miners back to work," Maloney said in a statement. "As Governor, I won't pay lip service to creating and retaining jobs like Earl Ray, I will really do it."
Tomblin's campaign has cited how he has pursued the lawsuit filed by Manchin that has so far successfully challenged the EPA's oversight of certain mining-related permits in West Virginia."Governor Tomblin is endorsed by the West Virginia Coal Association and the United Mine Workers because they know he always has and always will fight for our miners and coal industry," Tomblin spokesman Chris Stadelman said Tuesday. "Any suggestion to the contrary is an outright lie." DeIuliis and other Consol officials, including Chief Executive J. Brett Harvey, have contributed nearly $35,000 to Tomblin's re-election bid. Consol has also launched an independent ad campaign in support of Tomblin and other candidates, according to a filing posted Tuesday by the Secretary of State's office.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV