Twitter has the kind of multigenerational staying power that makes its forthcoming IPO a better long-term bet than Facebook (FB). And I believe in the power, the glory, the magic and the ministry of the hoodie.
Twitter connects and stimulates people in so many more ways than Facebook.
I was thinking about it last night.Recently, my daughter started doing something old school. She writes letters to the snail mail addresses of the pop band One Direction and the cast of kids' television shows such as iCarly and A.N.T. Farm asking for autographs. When I was her age back in the 1980s, I did the same thing. I'll never forget receiving signed 8 x 10s in the mail from former New York Giants stars Mark Bavaro and Joe Morris. It was so cool. You send the letter. You lose all hope and forget about it. And then, out of nowhere, maybe nine months later, your request shows up in the mail. I think that happened to me with Rick Springfield. For a second, I wondered why my tech-savvy kid is doing this. It seems so 1984. She's not posing next to a Born in the USA album cover like I was back in the day. She's an iTunes and Pandora (P) girl. I'm happy about it. I appreciate that the way things used to get done still hold some attraction. But, on the other hand, my kid doesn't have a Twitter account, though we "allow" her to have a Facebook. We're not keeping her from Twitter, she just hasn't asked. While she knows all about Twitter, I don't think she quite grasps its potential value in her life. That's partially my fault because I have positioned it as "the newspaper" and my source for all things stock market and hockey. That's enough to turn any "One Directioner" off. You just cannot do on Facebook what you can do on Twitter.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV