The fund often performs well in up markets, Hougan says. But because of its lopsided sector allocations, the ETF will not excel when such sectors as energy lead the rally. Hougan says that instead of using the PowerShares fund, investors should prefer other alternatives. Those who seek to hold technology should consider a pure fund, such as Vanguard Information Technology (VGT).
Investors who want to place a bullish bet on the broad market might prefer holding Guggenheim S&P 500 Equal Weight (RSP). The equal-weight fund has assets in every sector and does not emphasize any one stock. In addition, the Guggenheim fund may pack a bit more punch in a rally as indicated by a measure known as beta, which describes an investment's sensitivity to market movements.
The Guggenheim fund has a beta of 1.11. So if the S&P 500 rises by 100, the fund would tend to climb by 111. The PowerShares fund has a beta of 1.08.
Another way to hold the Nasdaq 100 and get some extra juice is with First Trust Nasdaq 100 Equal Weight (QQEW), which has a beta of 1.16. The fund has about 1% of assets in each of the 100 stocks. When the market soared in 2009, the First Trust fund returned 59.5%, compared to 54.5% for the PowerShares QQQ fund. The First Trust fund can jump higher because it has more weight in volatile, smaller stocks, which tend to spring when markets rebound sharply.The equal-weight fund has 47% of assets in technology. Because it has a small stake in Apple, the First Trust fund has lagged PowerShares QQQ during the past five years. But if Apple stumbles, the equal-weight fund could move into the lead.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV