Newly public chain
(CHUY) also reported better-than-expected results, beating estimates on both revenue ($47.9 million versus $43.9 million) and earnings (13 cents versus 12 cents). The Mexican restaurant chain, which went public in July, is up 8% in pre-market trading, and more than 60% since it began trading.
CHUY data by
(DIN), parent of Applebee's and IHOP, also reported a strong quarter, beating the consensus on revenue ($216.3 million versus $202.6 million), and earnings ($1.03 versus 93 cents). The company has adopted a "re-franchising" strategy, similar to
(DENN), selling company-owned Applebee's restaurants to franchisees, helping to reduce the company's debt load to about $1.2 billion, from $1.8 billion at the end of 2010.
DIN data by
Denny's,) which has staged a remarkable comeback the past several years, barely beat the consensus on revenue ($120.9 million from $120.6 million), but missed badly on earnings (6 cents from 9 cents). On a positive note, the company reduced total debt by about $9 million, and repurchased one million shares during the quarter.
Denny's also opened 12 new units (franchised), and signed a deal to open 10 in Chile. Sometimes it's hard to believe that this older chain, that was bankrupt not all that long ago, is actually growing. I thought I was seeing things on the way to the airport following a mission trip in the Dominican Republic this past summer, but there it was, a huge billboardfor the new Denny's at the Santo Domingo airport, the first in that country. This company seemingly has nine lives.
DENN Long Term Debt data by
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV