Stocks Finish Mixed After Two-Day Sandy Shutdown
Ford (F) reported earnings on Tuesday that beat analysts' estimates thanks to strong U.S. sales that overshadowed weakening sales in Europe and soft profits in South America. Shares climbed 8.2%.
The FTSE 100 in London closed down 1.2%, as the DAX in Germany gave away earlier gains to finish off 0.33%. Japan's Nikkei average rose 0.98% overnight to close at 8,9281. Hong Kong's Hang Seng rose 1%.
Gold for December delivery added $7 to settle at $1,719.10 an ounce at the Comex division of the New York Mercantile Exchange, while December crude oil contracts increased 56 cents to close at $86.24 a barrel.
The benchmark 10-year Treasury was rising 7/32, dropping the yield to 1.696%. The dollar was unchanged Wednesday, according to the
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV