Ford (F) reported earnings on Tuesday that beat analysts' estimates thanks to strong U.S. sales that overshadowed weakening sales in Europe and soft profits in South America. Shares climbed 8.2%.
The FTSE 100 in London closed down 1.2%, as the DAX in Germany gave away earlier gains to finish off 0.33%. Japan's Nikkei average rose 0.98% overnight to close at 8,9281. Hong Kong's Hang Seng rose 1%.
Gold for December delivery added $7 to settle at $1,719.10 an ounce at the Comex division of the New York Mercantile Exchange, while December crude oil contracts increased 56 cents to close at $86.24 a barrel.
The benchmark 10-year Treasury was rising 7/32, dropping the yield to 1.696%. The dollar was unchanged Wednesday, according to the
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV