Riverview Bancorp, Inc. (Nasdaq: RVSB) (“Riverview” or the “Company”) today reported net income of $1.8 million, or $0.08 per share, in its second fiscal quarter ended September 30, 2012 compared to a net loss of $1.8 million, or $0.08 per share, in the preceding quarter and net income of $181,000, or $0.01 per share, in its second fiscal quarter a year ago.
“Credit quality improved for the second consecutive quarter as we continue to focus on identifying and resolving problem credits,” stated Pat Sheaffer, Chairman and CEO. “Our team’s success in executing this plan has resulted in a profitable quarter and reduction in nonperforming asset balances. While we will continue to pull from every resource to reduce problem assets, we can also now focus on responsible profitable growth that supports lending in the communities we serve.”
Highlights (at or for the period ended September 30, 2012)
- Net income was $1.8 million, or $0.08 per diluted share
- The net interest margin was 4.31% compared to 4.22% for June 30, 2012
- Nonperforming loans decreased $8.8 million during the quarter to $28.0 million (23.8% decline)
- Nonperforming assets decreased $6.3 million during the quarter to $52.5 million (10.8% decline)
- Strong core deposits at 96% of total deposits
- Capital levels continue to exceed the regulatory requirements to be categorized as “well capitalized” with a total risk-based capital ratio of 13.41% and a Tier 1 leverage ratio of 9.09%
Credit Quality“The decrease in the provision for loan losses during the quarter was primarily driven by the improvement in credit quality of the loan portfolio and reduction in loan charge-offs,” said Ron Wysaske, President and COO. Riverview recorded a $500,000 provision for loan losses in the second quarter of fiscal year 2013 compared to $4.0 million in the preceding quarter and $2.2 million in the second quarter of fiscal year 2012. The allowance for loan losses was $20.1 million at September 30, 2012 and represented 3.46% of total loans and 71.85% of nonperforming loans.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts