MasterCard Incorporated (NYSE:MA) today announced financial results for the third quarter of 2012. The company reported net income of $772 million, up 8%, and earnings per diluted share of $6.17, up 10%, in each case versus the year-ago period.
Net revenue for the third quarter of 2012 was $1.9 billion, a 5% increase versus the same period in 2011. Adjusted for currency, net revenue increased 10% compared to the same period in 2011. Net revenue growth was driven by the impact of the following:
- A 14% increase in gross dollar volume on a local currency basis, to $918 billion;
- An increase in processed transactions of 24%, to 8.7 billion; and
- An increase in cross-border volumes of 14%.
These factors were partially offset by an increase in rebates and incentives, primarily due to new and renewed agreements and increased volumes.
Worldwide purchase volume during the quarter was up 12% on a local currency basis versus the third quarter of 2011, to $676 billion. As of September 30, 2012, the company’s customers had issued 1.9 billion MasterCard and Maestro-branded cards.“MasterCard continues to drive solid financial performance and focus on executing key deals, investments and partnerships,” said Ajay Banga, MasterCard president and CEO. “We won significant business in Europe this quarter with Nordea, Credit Agricole and CSOB in the Czech Republic and, in the U.S., we acquired loyalty reward provider Truaxis to better connect consumers with targeted, relevant offers. “Additionally, emerging geographies and governments continue to provide great opportunities for growth. In Africa, our win with Nakumatt, the largest supermarket chain in East Africa, is expected to deliver more than a million multi-currency prepaid loyalty cards to consumers. We also continue to support governments around the world, including new programs in the U.S. and Mexico with several large government agencies that help save money and deliver more effective and efficient programs and benefits,” Banga concluded.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV