Presidential Plastic: Which Credit Cards Do They Carry?
You may think that, with her husband's fortune estimated at up to $250 million, Mrs. Romney would have little need for credit cards. But she may choose to have one, simply to wave the flag.
And she could do so literally with the USAA Rate Advantage MasterCard®, which comes with Old Glory emblazoned across its front. As importantly, carrying one shows support for the military, something that every politician and his or her spouse wants to do.
Now, the organization's website says that "USAA membership is a privilege earned by those in uniform," which is a little awkward given that her husband, while a vocal supporter of the Vietnam war, had four draft deferments that allowed him to escape any military service at all. But, were the Governor to win in November, it's hard to see the USAA turning down an application from the Commander in chief's wife.
Credit card use might mean something a little different for these folks than for the rest of the U.S. It's hard to imagine any of them hunched after midnight over the kitchen table, stressing out over their card statements, and juggling the family budget to make minimum payments. But it's easy to wish that, just occasionally, they'd have to. Regardless who wins the election this November, they'll have a long ways to go to help Americans feel better about their finances.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV