Steelmaker ArcelorMittal Posts $709M 3Q Loss
LUXEMBOURG (AP) â¿¿ ArcelorMittal, the world's largest steelmaker, slashed its dividend as it slid into a third-quarter loss on the back of a slowdown in China.
The company reported Wednesday that it made a $709 million loss during the July-September period in contrast to last year's equivalent profit of $659 million and the second-quarter's profit of $959 million. It blamed lower economic growth in China, which is now the world's second-largest economy after years of stellar growth.
Arcelor also said it was committed to reducing its debt and increasing its productivity and efficiency. The Luxembourg-based steel and mining giant saw its debt increase by $1.2 billion during the third quarter, to $23.2 billion, because of negative operating cash flow.
In a conference call with reporters, Aditya Mittal, the company's chief financial officer, said the goal is to get net debt down to $22 billion by the fourth quarter of this year.He said ArcelorMittal had sold $2.7 billion worth of assets since the euro crisis began three years ago, and it planned to sell still more. He declined to be specific about which assets might be on the auction block. It's already saving $1 billion by cutting its dividend to 20 cents a share from 75 cents, Mittal said. While acknowledging that risks remain, Mittal was generally optimistic about the global economy despite ongoing problems in the 17-country eurozone. He also cautioned about the change in leadership in China and the U.S.'s fiscal difficulties. The U.S. faces a so-called fiscal cliff, whereby a combination of tax increases and budget cuts may become necessary if a budget agreement is not clinched soon. That could result in an economic slowdown in the U.S., where ArcelorMittal is a significant player. Overall, from a global economic standpoint the indications are that "we have reached the bottom," Mittal said.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV