There's scant question that John Browett's retail snafu earlier this year would have happened under Jobs. But if it somehow did, Browett would have been fired much sooner.
Cook showed a little self-interest. Even a hint of ruthlessness. Some fire. Some spark.
As somebody skeptical of his ability as a visionary, that gives me hope. That said, it doesn't make me think for a second that Cook's a visionary in Jobs's league. It doesn't portend a smashing product line to follow up iPod, iPhone and iPad.
One thing has nothing to do with the other. While some loose relationship that we'll only be able to connect in hindsight might exist, there's nothing causal here. Cook blowing two people out in a way sort of similar to how Jobs might have done it doesn't necessarily lead to a sudden ability to masterfully conceive, develop and market iTV.But, by getting Forstall out of the picture and handing Jonathan Ive more rope, Cook likely reduces the chances that he'll hang himself. At the time of publication, the author held no positions in any of the stocks mentioned in this article. Follow @RoccoPendola
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV