Off the Charts
In the "Off The Charts" segment, Cramer went head to head with colleague Dan Fitzpatrick over the direction of coal, one of the most hated commodities of 2012.According to Fitzpatrick, a daily chart of Dow Jones US Coal Index shows coal in a solid downtrend since July 2011, when the index fell below its 50-day moving average and stayed there until just recently when it stabilized and built a base of support. Fitzpatrick noted that the buyers seem to be in control after a long hiatus and the stock could break out above its 200-day moving average. Fitzpatrick also looked at the charts of both Peabody Energy (BTU) and Alpha Natural Resources (ANR), two big coal names, for confirmation. He found that both Peabody and Alpha followed similar patterns, falling below their 50-day averages, only to stabilize then begin to rally on strong volume. What was once the ceiling for these stocks, their 50-day averages, is now their floor of support. Crame said that with natural gas prices rising, export coal to China likely to improve and nuclear power off the menu post-Japan, there's a lot to like about coal, especially if Mitt Romney, a pro-coal candidate, is elected. However, he noted that if Obama is re-elected, that could give the Environmental Protection Agency a new mandate to phase out coal-fired power plants even sooner.
No Huddle OffenseIn his "No Huddle Offense" segment, Cramer opined on the management shakeups at Apple (AAPL), an Action Alerts PLUS holding. He said while the news that two underperforming execs are on the way out is good news for the company, the market's reaction will be to sell shares of Apple even lower. Cramer said the markets are in a full-blown "sell Apple" mode, as these changes remind investors that this is no longer Steve Job's company and the company has yet to debut more than incremental upgrades to existing products.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV