Anika Therapeutics, Inc. (Nasdaq: ANIK), a leader in products for tissue protection, healing and repair, based on hyaluronic acid (“HA”) technology, today reported financial results for the quarter ended September 30, 2012.
For the third quarter of 2012, Anika’s total revenue was $14.8 million. This total represents a 20% decrease compared with the same period last year and reflects the impact of a temporary scale-up issue at our Bedford manufacturing facility that prevented the company from filling all of its orders for Orthovisc ® during the quarter. The revenue shortfall impacted gross margin, operating, and net income. The issue has been resolved, and Anika expects to fill all of its orders in the current fourth quarter. In addition, the economic softness in Europe and the negative effect of foreign exchange affected revenue for the quarter.
For the nine-month period ended September 30, 2012, total revenue increased 5% to $48.8 million from the same period last year.Product Gross Margin Product gross margin for the third quarter of 2012 declined to 48.6%, from 58.4% in the third quarter last year, reflecting lower production volume. For the nine-month period ended September 30, 2012, product gross margin was 53.3%, compared to 55.6% in the first nine months of 2011. Operating and Net Income Operating income for the third quarter of 2012 was $2.7 million, as compared to $4.8 million in the same period in 2011. Net income declined to $1.6 million, or $0.11 per diluted share, from $3.0 million, or $0.22 per diluted share, in the third quarter a year earlier due to the lower revenue and margins. The company’s effective tax rate for the third quarter of 2012 was 38.6%, compared with 37.6% for the third quarter of 2011. The higher tax rate was due to Anika SRL.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV