- Live lean and clean. TCA points out that health care costs for obese Americans are 42% higher than those with what the firm calls a "normal weight." In addition, it costs 18% more for health care insurance for smokers. Cut back on fatty foods and tobacco and cut costs in both areas.
- Get ahead of the curve. Even an annual "wellness" visit to your doctor can prevent illness and keep costs down. "Preventive care is crucial for keeping health care costs down over time, and many insurance plans now provide preventive-care screenings without charging deductibles and copays. Annual well-visits give your doctor an opportunity to provide necessary medical advice and identify health concerns before they become major issues," the firm says
- Stay In the network. Use your health care package wisely. One of the best ways to do just that is to opt for an in-network medical care provider, specifically for family doctors, specialists, and lab work.
- Pick Your spots. If you're hurt or fall ill after regular business hours, by all means seek quality health care. But choose wisely. TCA says you can save "hundreds of dollars" by treatment at a local medical clinic over a hospital emergency room.
- Manipulate Your Deductible. If you're approaching deductible limits on your health care plan, go "all in" and pencil in needed medical care such as check-ups, blood work or medical procedures. Since your new deductible does not start until the new year, you'll save big bucks by scheduling those visits ASAP.
5 Ways to Save on Health Care
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
More than 30 investing pros with skin in the game give you actionable insight and investment ideas.