The Associated Press
PROVING THEIR METAL: U.S. Steel made $44 million, or 28 cents per share, in the third quarter. That compared with $22 million, or 15 cents, in the year-ago quarter. Revenue fell 8.4 percent to $4.65 billion. The most recent results reflected several one-time items, including a $27 million tax benefit.
IRONING THINGS OUT: U.S. Steel, like other steel makers, said its performance was pressured by slowing global growth that hurt shipments and prices. Imports also jumped which created plentiful supplies.
STEELY DETERMINATION: U.S. Steel forecast overall break-even results in the fourth quarter, with lower prices and shipments.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV