BOSTON, Oct. 30, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- ASTRO Booth #5019 -- Varian Medical Systems (NYSE: VAR), the leading provider of oncology software, today announced the launch of a portfolio of oncology-specific information technology (IT) solutions designed to meet the requirements of a modern cancer treatment center. The company's FullScale™ oncology IT portfolio comprises a flexible set of comprehensive IT solutions for every type of healthcare delivery system, from a single-site clinic to a geographically dispersed, multi-site hospital network.
Varian's FullScale solutions take advantage of virtualization or cloud technologies to deploy Varian software—both the ARIA® oncology information system and Eclipse™ treatment planning—in a way that is flexible, scalable, reliable, and widely accessible, enabling treatment centers to take advantage of economies of scale.
The FullScale portfolio encompasses three types of deployments that can be adapted to meet the specific needs of each customer:
- FullScale Appliance is an onsite solution for smaller clinics. Varian installs and manages a specially-designed turnkey appliance that houses the ARIA and Eclipse applications securely behind the customer's firewall.
- FullScale Enterprise for larger customers houses Varian applications on virtual servers in the customer's local data center. Varian installs, upgrades, monitors, and manages the software and system to ensure enterprise-class performance.
- FullScale Cloud makes use of virtual servers that are configured on physical servers at an off-site data center, with access permitted only for authorized users. The virtual servers can be moved without disruption from one physical server to another when more capacity is needed, making this the most optimized model for high availability, performance, and scalability in an off-site solution.
"The Varian FullScale Appliance offers the power of a complete and managed system, including ARIA and Eclipse components. It allows us to focus on how we utilize Varian technologies to provide enhanced quality patient care instead of spending time on managing the various individual pieces of technology," says Randall Miller, chief medical physicist at Northeast Georgia Health System."FullScale is designed to minimize the need for capital expenditures and to simplify the processes of upgrading or migrating software, while enabling greater efficiency for a treatment center's IT, administrative, and clinical staff," says Kevin O'Reilly, senior director of product marketing for Varian's Oncology Systems business. "Clinics using these solutions can avoid buying expensive servers that take up space, use a lot of power, and require extensive IT resources to manage and service. It's a model that reduces the total cost of ownership and minimizes the downtime needed during upgrades to the system."
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts