As the storm travels toward upstate New York, New England and Canada, other regions in the Northeast may yet feel the brunt of Sandy.
For the Northeast, SNL calculated that Liberty Mutual had the highest 2011 insurance market share, with 9.65% of direct premiums written during 2011, followed by Travelers, with a 7.08% market share; MAPFRE -- held by MAPFRE SA -- with a 6% market share; and American International Group (AIG), with a 3.92% share. Next was Allstate, with a 3.42% Northeast market share, and Chubb (CB), with a 3.41% share.
See TheStreet's continuing coverage of Hurricane Sandy for more on the storm's human and financial impact.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV