As the storm travels toward upstate New York, New England and Canada, other regions in the Northeast may yet feel the brunt of Sandy.
For the Northeast, SNL calculated that Liberty Mutual had the highest 2011 insurance market share, with 9.65% of direct premiums written during 2011, followed by Travelers, with a 7.08% market share; MAPFRE -- held by MAPFRE SA -- with a 6% market share; and American International Group (AIG), with a 3.92% share. Next was Allstate, with a 3.42% Northeast market share, and Chubb (CB), with a 3.41% share.
See TheStreet's continuing coverage of Hurricane Sandy for more on the storm's human and financial impact.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV