Data released today by the independent non-profit National Committee for Quality Assurance ( NCQA) show that Cigna plans continue to improve health care quality. Cigna said its plans had year-over-year improvements in more than 62 percent of measures that NCQA tracked. For example, gains included more adherence to prescribed medications and more children and adolescents receiving recommended vaccinations.
Cigna's analysis of the data also indicates that it continues to exceed the national average and the averages of its national competitors in dozens of quality measures.
“Every day we focus on quality because it’s fundamental to helping our customers improve their health and well-being,” said Dr. Dick Salmon, Cigna's national medical director for performance measurement and improvement. “When quality measures are followed – for example, when people get the screenings and tests they need, or refill their prescriptions on time – individuals have a better chance at staying healthy. And when people stay healthy, that leads to lower health care costs. That’s why Cigna is committed to measuring and improving the quality of our programs continually and reporting those results to the public.”
According to Salmon, quality plays a key role in the company’s 42 collaborative accountable care programs, which are focused on achieving the “triple aim” of improved quality, lower medical costs and better patient satisfaction.Cigna's quality-focused clinical initiatives target specific populations and encourage people to get important follow-up care or preventive screenings. Some of these programs include:
- An award-winning colon cancer screening program that targets people ages 50 to 64 who have not had a screening and encourages them to get screened.
- An industry recognized childhood immunization program that reminds parents of infants and toddlers about important vaccination milestones.
- Well woman initiatives that reinforce the importance of routine breast and cervical cancer screening.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts