- Slow down. As rain falls, it mixes with grime and oils on the road surface, creating potential slick conditions that can lead to skids. The best way to avoid skidding is to slow down. Driving at a slower pace allows more of the tire's tread to make contact with the road, which leads to better traction.
- Check your tires. Always check your tires before driving, including keeping them properly inflated. The correct tire pressure is specified by the vehicle manufacturer and is found on the door post, glove box or fuel door.The number listed on the sidewall of the tire is the maximum pressure, not the recommended pressure. And check the tires' tread depth, as proper tread depth will also assist in helping to maintain contact with the road surface.
- Keep your distance. Because more distance is typically required when braking on wet and slippery surfaces, it is important not to follow other vehicles too closely. Be sure that your vehicle's headlights, rear lights, brake lights and turn indicators are working, too.
- Know when to stop driving. If the rain or other inclement weather becomes too severe, it may be best to simply pull over to a safe location and stop driving. Heavy rain can overload the wiper blades, allowing an almost continuous sheet of water to flow over the windshield. When visibility is so limited that the edges of the road or other vehicles cannot be seen at a safe distance, it is time to consider taking a break from driving.
- Remember your own shoes. As your tires work outside the car to grip the road surface during wet and sloppy conditions, remember that the grip of your footwear inside the car is also important. Be careful of wet floor mats or wet soles on shoes or boots, as this can cause a driver's feet to slip on pedals.
Goodyear Provides Timely Advice For Wet-Weather Driving
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts