Impax Laboratories, Inc. (NASDAQ: IPXL) today reported third quarter 2012 financial results.
- Adjusted net income increased $15.3 million to $32.5 million in the third quarter 2012, or $0.48 per diluted share, compared to $17.2 million, or $0.26 per diluted share, in the prior year period. This increase was primarily driven by United States (U.S.) sales of Zomig ® which was licensed from AstraZeneca pursuant to the previously disclosed January 2012 License Agreement. Adjusted results exclude acquisition-related costs, as well as other items noted below.
- GAAP net income increased $2.8 million to $20.0 million in the third quarter 2012, or $0.29 per diluted share, compared to $17.2 million, or $0.26 per diluted share, in the prior year period.
- Total revenues increased 21% to $145.6 million in the third quarter 2012, compared to $119.8 million in the prior year period, primarily due to U.S. sales of Zomig ®. Partially offsetting this increase were lower generic Rx Partner and Research Partner revenues, as well as the completion in June 2012 of a three-year brand product promotional agreement for which there was no revenue recognized in the third quarter 2012 compared to the prior year period.
- Adjusted earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization (Adjusted EBITDA), increased to $56.6 million in the third quarter 2012, compared to $32.5 million in the prior year period.
Adjusted results exclude amortization and acquisition-related costs related to recent third-party business development transactions, the receipt of reimbursed costs pursuant to the settlement of litigation and expenses associated with the voluntary withdrawal of a generic product from the market. Please refer to “Non-GAAP Financial Measures” below for a reconciliation of GAAP to non-GAAP items.
“Our U.S. promotional efforts of Zomig ® exceeded our expectations in the third quarter and support our brand commercial organization as we continue to prepare for the potential launch of Rytary TM,” said Larry Hsu, Ph.D., president and CEO, Impax Laboratories, Inc. “The success of our brand business is an important element to the future growth of the Company.”
“A few weeks ago, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) notified us that Rytary’s TM New Drug Application review date would be extended three months to January 21, 2013. We continue to have dialogue with the FDA on both this application and the resolution of the Hayward warning letter. We expect that upon the resolution of the warning letter, we should begin to see approvals for generic products in backlog and will look to commercialize these opportunities assuming the market dynamics remain attractive. In the meantime, we continue to explore investment opportunities that can deliver growth and progress the Company towards its long term generic and brand division goals,” Dr. Hsu concluded.Segment Information The Company has two reportable segments, the Global Pharmaceuticals Division (generic products & services) and the Impax Pharmaceuticals Division (brand products & services) and does not allocate general corporate services to either segment.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Jim Cramer + 20 Wall Street pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Real-time trading forum
- Actionable trade ideas
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV