Third Quarter 2012 Financial Results
- Total collaboration revenue for the third quarter of 2012 was approximately $1.0 million compared with $3.6 million for the third quarter of 2011. The decrease was due to revenue recognized in the third quarter of 2011 under AVEO’s collaboration agreement with OSI that did not recur during the third quarter of 2012.
- Research and development (R&D) expense for the third quarter of 2012 was $21.1 million compared with $20.1 million for the third quarter of 2011. The increase in R&D expense was primarily due to an increase in personnel-related expenses, as well as an increase in facility costs related to our future headquarters, partially offset by a decrease in clinical trial costs.
- General and administrative (G&A) expense for the third quarter of 2012 was $9.3 million compared with $6.6 million for the third quarter of 2011. The increase in G&A expense was primarily driven by an increase in personnel-related expenses, as well as an increase in expenses related to pre-commercialization activities for tivozanib.
- Net loss for the third quarter of 2012 was $30.1 million, or basic and diluted net loss per share of $0.69, compared with net loss of $23.8 million, or basic and diluted net loss per share of $0.55, for the third quarter of 2011.
- AVEO ended the third quarter of 2012 with cash, cash equivalents and marketable securities of $189.7 million.
Updated Financial Guidance
AVEO is updating its financial guidance that it expects to end 2012 with approximately $135 million in cash, cash equivalents and marketable securities. Based on its revised operating plan, AVEO anticipates that this capital is sufficient to fund its operations through 2013.
Key Recent Developments
- Tivozanib NDA submitted: AVEO submitted a New Drug Application to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration seeking approval for tivozanib in patients with advanced RCC. The submission is based on results of the global Phase 3 TIVO-1 ( TIvozanib Versus s Orafenib in 1st line advanced RCC) trial, in which tivozanib demonstrated a statistically significant improvement in progression-free survival versus sorafenib, an approved targeted agent, and a favorable tolerability profile.
- Appointed vice president, sales: In preparation for the planned launch of tivozanib, AVEO has appointed Brad Bailey to the newly created position of vice president, sales, reporting to AVEO’s chief commercial officer. Mr. Bailey brings more than two decades of pharmaceutical and medical device industry leadership in field sales, operations, account management and reimbursement. Mr. Bailey’s experience includes serving as vice president of oncology sales and account management at Pfizer, where he led the launch of Sutent ® in RCC and gastrointestinal stromal tumors. He joins the company from UCB Biopharma where he served as senior director, immunology business unit and directed the company's national sales organization in the marketing of Cimzia ® for the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis and Crohn's disease.
- New tivozanib clinical data presented at ESMO: New TIVO-1 data demonstrating the safety and tolerability profile of tivozanib versus sorafenib in the first-line setting for patients with RCC were presented at the ESMO 2012 Congress (European Society for Medical Oncology). Results showed that patients treated with tivozanib experienced fewer ≥Grade 3 drug-related adverse events (36.3% in tivozanib arm vs. 51.0% in sorafenib arm). ≥Grade 3 hypertension, an established on-target effect of angiogenesis inhibitors, was more common in the tivozanib group (23.6% vs. 15.2%) and ≥Grade 3 hand-foot syndrome (1.9% vs. 16.7%), diarrhea (1.9% vs. 5.8%) and lipase elevation (0.8% vs. 5.8%) were more common in the sorafenib group. Further, patients treated with tivozanib required fewer dose reductions (11.6% vs. 42.8%, p<0.001) and interruptions (17.8% vs. 35.4%, p<0.001) than those on sorafenib.
- First patient enrolled in TAURUS patient preference study: AVEO and Astellas began enrolling patients in the TAURUS ( Tivoz Anib Use ve Rs Us Sunitinib in advanced renal cell carcinoma) patient preference study. The primary objective of the study is to compare patient preference for tivozanib or sunitinib.
- Lazard Capital Markets 9th Annual Healthcare Conference, November 13-14, 2012 in New York
- dbAccess BioFEST, December 3-4, 2012 in Boston
- 31st Annual J.P. Morgan Healthcare Conference, January 7-10, 2013 in San Francisco
- San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium (SABCS), December 4-8, 2012 in San Antonio
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV