Fresh Del Monte Produce Inc. (NYSE:FDP) today reported financial results for the quarter ended September 28, 2012. The Company reported earnings per diluted share of $0.40 for the third quarter of 2012 compared with earnings per diluted share of $0.21 in the third quarter of 2011. Excluding asset impairment and other charges, earnings per diluted share were $0.45 in the third quarter of 2012, compared with earnings per diluted share of $0.22 in the third quarter of 2011.
"We are very pleased with the strong bottom-line performance Fresh Del Monte Produce achieved in the third quarter of 2012," said Mohammad Abu-Ghazaleh, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer. "We saw excellent growth in our global fresh-cut business. The decision to take full control of the marketing, sales and distribution of our products at the beginning of the year in Southern Europe contributed to our improved performance. We also realized efficiency improvements in our logistics and cost control initiatives that directly improved our bottom-line performance. We will continue to manage our business to maximize growth and enhance shareholder value.”
Net sales for the third quarter of 2012 were $788.8 million, compared with $795.2 million in the prior year period. The decrease in net sales for the quarter was primarily the result of lower net sales in the Company's banana business segment, primarily due to continued lower banana sales volume in the Middle East secondary markets and in Europe.
Gross profit for the third quarter of 2012 was $74.4 million, compared with $62.9 million in the third quarter of 2011. The Company had gross profit of $75.2 million in the third quarter of 2012, excluding other charges of $0.8 million. The increase in gross profit for the quarter was primarily due to higher selling prices in the Company's banana business segment and lower ocean freight costs.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV