Marvell Technology Group
No one likes chipmakers right now. In fact, no one likes anyone who has anything to do with chipmakers, either. Take, Marvell Technology Group (MRVL), for instance. Marvell designs chips used in data storage, networking, and personal electronics; the firm's share price has slid more than 44% in 2012.
So why should you buy this laggard? Because it looks cheap.Marvell's bread and butter is supplying control chips to hard drive manufacturers. Data storage has been an in-demand market over the last several years as increased use of memory-intense technologies like HD video recording and cloud computing increase firms' storage needs. Hard drive shortages have helped to propel drive makers dramatically higher this year, but Marvell, one of their key suppliers, hasn't gotten the same treatment from investors. To a lesser extent, Marvell has exposure to another high-growth corner of the technology sector: mobile handsets. With Marvell's wifi technology reaching faster speeds than many competitors on the market right now, the firm's silicon is likely to be featured in more phones in 2013. But the fact that MRVL only trades for 88% of book value doesn't reflect that. That's why this Irvine, California-based firm is one our bargain list this week. To see these value-centric names in action, check out the Bargain Bin Buys 2012 portfolio on Stockpickr. -- Written by Jonas Elmerraji in Baltimore.
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV