Digital Realty Trust
Last up is Digital Realty Trust (DLR), one of my favorite real estate investment trusts. Digital Realty is a commercial real estate landlord that owns 16.8 million square feet of leasable space used for datacenters, internet gateways, and manufacturing facilities for technology firms.
Digital Realty's niche focus gives it some big advantages. For starters, demand for internet data centers and gateways continues to grow as data-driven services (like cloud storage) continue to grow in popularity. As long as firms need more virtual space to store data, they'll also need more physical space to store servers; that's space that DLR is uniquely qualified to provide. And as a result, switching costs are high for tenants who decide to lease space from Digital Realty.The firm's legal status as a REIT effectively means that it's a purpose-built income generation machine. Like other commercial REITS, the firm leases properties on a triple-net basis, leaving costs like maintenance, taxes and insurance up to tenants. DLR is obligated to pay out the vast majority of its income directly to investors in the form of dividends, one reason for the firm's massive 4.55% yield. Investors looking for real estate exposure could do a lot worse than this dividend winner. To see these dividend plays in action, check out the Dividend Stocks for the Week portfolio on Stockpickr. And if you haven't already done so, join Stockpickr today to create your own dividend portfolio. -- Written by Jonas Elmerraji in Baltimore.
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV