With rainfall totals mounting and wind gusts of up to 70 mph, PECO has battled throughout the day to restore power to tens of thousands of customers who lost power from Hurricane Sandy. And, the storm—which already has become one of the top five most damaging storms in PECO history—will remain in the area through tomorrow causing additional damage. When Hurricane Sandy finally clears the region, it could lead to historic flooding and severe damage to electric lines and equipment.
PECO has mobilized more than 3,000 employees, contractors and out-of-state crews to respond to the devastating effects of this storm. This massive effort includes more than 1,500 field personnel from utilities as far away as Tennessee, Kentucky, Louisiana and Mississippi, as well as field personnel from PECO’s Chicago-based sister utility ComEd.
As of 10 p.m., 436,000 customers remain without service. Specifically:
- Buck County = 175,000
- Chester County = 34,000
- Delaware County = 67,000
- Montgomery County = 128,000
- Philadelphia County = 32,000
Working in torrential rains and gusty winds, crews will work throughout the night to restore service as safely and as quickly as possible. Due to the severity of this storm, PECO cannot provide estimated restoration times until we are able to more fully assess damage to our system.Customers who experience an outage or issue with their natural gas service should call the company immediately at 1-800-841-4141. The more customers who call to report an outage, the more effectively PECO can dispatch crews and restore service. PECO reminds customers to stay safe during the storm. With saturated ground and high winds, customers may encounter tree damage and downed power lines as the storm intensifies. Customers should always assume that downed lines and equipment are energized and extremely dangerous. Customers also should never enter basements that are flooded until power is de-energized. Stay away from any flood-covered electric equipment in neighborhoods, even if electricity has been terminated in the area.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV