SAN FRANCISCO, Oct. 29, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Pacific Gas and Electric Company (PG&E) announced today that it is sending more than 150 employees to New York to help restore power in the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy. Crews from all over PG&E's Northern and Central California service area will depart from Sacramento within the next couple of days.
"Providing support to other utilities throughout the nation during major natural disasters is one of the hallmarks of PG&E and the electric utility industry," said Geisha Williams, executive vice president of electric operations. "The men and women of PG&E are proud to help restore power to the victims of Hurricane Sandy, who are expected to experience widespread and long-term outages. We pulled crews from throughout our service area so that we can continue to provide safe, reliable and affordable electric service to our customers here in California while also providing critical restoration assistance in New York."
Many utility companies in the storm's projected path are calling upon extra workers and resources from across the country through the industry's Mutual Aid Network. PG&E is part of the network of U.S. utilities that call on one another to assist in power restoration efforts after major events like hurricanes, winter storms and wildfires.
PG&E has coordinated with Edison Electric Institute (EEI), the association of U.S. shareholder-owned electric companies, and the Mutual Aid Network to determine where its assistance would be most beneficial. PG&E resources will assist Con Edison in New York City and Westchester County.PG&E will send overhead and underground maintenance and construction crews, electric first responders who determine the cause of an outage and how best to restore power, and damage assessment personnel. The utility will also send logistics support and field safety personnel.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV