Customers are encouraged to be safe and prepare for the extended outages:
- Never touch a line that is on the ground or hanging from an electrical pole. Even though a line may look harmless, it may be carrying electricity.
- Keep children and pets away from downed wires, and never attempt to remove trees or limbs from power lines because they could conduct electricity.
- If a downed line is near water, keep far away. Stay out of flooded basements, even if the power is off.
- Do not drive over downed wires, and stay away from downed lines that are in contact with vehicles.
- Unplug appliances such as refrigerators and freezers, and sensitive electronic equipment such as TVs and computers, so that they won't overload when power is restored.
- When operating a generator, always disconnect the power coming into your home or power from your generator could be sent back onto the utility lines, creating a hazardous situation for utility workers and the public. In addition, the proper generator should be selected and installed by a qualified electrician, and generators should only be used outdoors and only in well-ventilated areas.
- Never use your stove, gas grill or a heater designed for outdoor use to heat your home, as deadly carbon monoxide gas can accumulate.
For updated information on the company's storm preparation efforts, current outages, FirstEnergy's storm restoration process and tips for staying safe, visit the 24/7 Power Center at www.firstenergycorp.com/outages . JCP&L customers can find the latest information on Facebook at www.facebook.com/JCPandL. FirstEnergy operating companies will also provide updates via Twitter:
- JCP&L: @JCP_L
- Penelec: @Penelec
- Met-Ed: @Met_Ed
- West Penn Power: @W_Penn_Power
- Penn Power: @Penn_Power
- Potomac Edison: @PotomacEdison
- Mon Power: @MonPowerWV
- Ohio Edison: @OhioEdison
- The Illuminating Company: @IlluminatingCo
- Toledo Edison: @ToledoEdison
FirstEnergy is a diversified energy company dedicated to safety, reliability and operational excellence. Its 10 electric distribution companies form one of the nation's largest investor-owned electric systems, serving customers in Maryland, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York and West Virginia. Its generation subsidiaries control more than 20,000 megawatts of capacity from a diversified mix of scrubbed coal, non-emitting nuclear, natural gas, hydro, pumped-storage hydro and other renewables. Follow FirstEnergy on Twitter @FirstEnergyCorp.
SOURCE FirstEnergy Corp.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV