RED BLUFF, Calif., Oct. 29, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Today Walmart celebrated its newly operational large-scale wind turbine at its distribution center in Red Bluff, California. The wind turbine is Walmart's first onsite industrial-sized wind turbine and will generate approximately 2,200,000 kilowatt hours of power, providing up to 20 percent of the distribution center's annual electricity use. U.S. House Representative Wally Herger joined local officials, as well as Walmart and Foundation Windpower executives, to commemorate the pilot project.
The GE SLE 1.0 Megawatt Wind Turbine is comparable in height to a typical 20-story building, with a tower measuring 265 feet tall and a blade spanning 250 feet in diameter. Under the terms of a Power Purchase Agreement (PPA) with Foundation Windpower the project will contribute to energy expense savings as well as provide price certainty for the electricity produced. Foundation Windpower installs, owns, and operates the wind turbine while Walmart purchases the power produced at a fixed rate. Red Bluff was selected for the installation because it provides an ideal environment for an installation of this scale, with good wind conditions and available land already owned by Walmart.
"I commend Walmart and Foundation Windpower for their commitment to investing in Red Bluff and for working to produce more American-made energy," said Congressman Wally Herger (R- CA 02). "This project demonstrates how private-sector-led innovation can create jobs and bring down prices for consumers. By making good use of the natural resources Northern California has been blessed with, we can bring more economic growth and opportunity to our communities."
"The Red Bluff pilot project is a shining example of how Walmart has made the serious commitment to finding renewable energy solutions for its operations as we work towards the goal of being supplied by 100 percent renewable energy," said Kim Saylors-Laster, vice president of energy at Walmart. "With the Red Bluff wind turbine now fully operational, we look forward to continuing to explore renewable energy alternatives to support our operations and reduce our utility costs throughout the country and around the world.""We are delighted to celebrate this partnership with Walmart. Our project is highly visible evidence that the world's largest retailer is also the most forward thinking on issues of sustainability and renewable energy," said John Pimentel, president of Foundation Windpower. "Foundation Windpower now has 22 Megawatts of distributed wind projects in California and looks forward to completing additional similar projects across the country." The wind turbine in Red Bluff is one of more than 180 renewable energy efforts underway worldwide as Walmart works towards its goal of being supplied by 100 percent renewable energy. In addition to a number of solar-focused efforts – including a goal to bring solar energy to more than 75 percent of Walmart and Sam's Club stores in California, approximately 130 stores, by the end of 2013 – Walmart's current wind energy projects include:
- A 90-megawatt wind farm in West Texas, providing 15 percent of power for over 300 Walmart stores and Sam's Clubs and delivering the power purchase equivalent to annual usage of more than 20,000 average American homes
- 348 stores in Mexico supplied by wind power, providing 17 percent of energy needs for Walmart de Mexico and reducing CO2 emissions by 137,240 tons annually
- Wind power provides 100 percent of the electricity needs in fourteen stores in Northern Ireland
- Additional wind energy projects include 12 mini wind turbines that power a Walmart store in Worchester, Massachusetts, wind turbine installations at Walmart's food distribution center in Balzac, Alberta Canada and micro wind installations at the Sam's Club in Palmdale, California
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV