Wausau Paper (NYSE:WPP) today reported that:
- Excluding special items, third-quarter adjusted net earnings from continuing operations were $0.06 per diluted share, compared to adjusted net earnings of $0.12 per diluted share during the same period last year.
- Net earnings from continuing operations, excluding special items, for the nine months ended September 30, 2012 and 2011, were $0.25 per diluted share and $0.27 per diluted share, respectively.
During 2012, the Company completed the sale of its premium Print & Color brands, inventory and select equipment, and the permanent closure and sale of its Brokaw, Wisconsin, manufacturing site. The Company began reporting the operations of the Brokaw manufacturing facility and related closure activities as a discontinued operation as of March 31, 2012, in the condensed consolidated balance sheet. Additionally, the discontinued operation is separately presented from continuing operations for all periods presented in the condensed consolidated statements of operations. All results discussed below exclude the discontinued operation unless otherwise indicated.
Third-quarter net loss from continuing operations was $5.2 million, or $0.10 per share compared to net earnings of $5.4 million, or $0.11 per diluted share a year ago. On a year-over-year basis, consolidated net sales decreased five percent to $202 million with shipments measured in tons decreasing three percent. Year-to-date, the Company reported a net loss from continuing operations of $1.5 million, or $0.03 per share, compared with net earnings of $10.0 million, or $0.20 per diluted share in the comparable 2011 period. For the nine months ended September 30, consolidated net sales increased two percent to $631 million as shipments increased four percent.
On an adjusted basis, third-quarter results included after-tax expenses of $7.6 million, or $0.15 per diluted share related to settlement charges on certain defined benefit pension plans and $1.2 million, or $0.02 per diluted share for capital-related expense for the Tissue expansion project. Prior-year third-quarter results included after-tax capital-related expenses of $0.4 million, or $0.01 per diluted share for the Tissue expansion project.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV