Operating income in the Southern Resources segment was $23 million, an increase of $2 million from the $21 million reported during the third quarter of 2011. Sawlog prices were stable at $20 per ton and pulpwood prices of $10 per ton were $1 per ton higher than the prices reported for the third quarter of 2011. As planned, harvest volumes in 2012 were higher than those in 2011. The company continued to emphasize the harvest of pulpwood to capture relatively attractive values in these markets and preserve the value of larger diameter sawlogs. Pulpwood volumes were up 318,000 tons, or 17 percent, higher compared to the third quarter of 2011. The sawlog harvest was up 244,000 tons, or 19 percent, higher from 2011 levels.
The Real Estate segment reported third quarter total revenue of $96 million and operating income of $54 million. Third quarter 2011 Real Estate segment revenue was $67 million and operating income was $46 million. The 2012 sales were anchored by the sale of approximately 100,000 acres of Wisconsin timberland for approximately $67 million. Smaller rural land sales across the company’s holdings accounted for the $29 million balance of the quarter’s revenue. Rural land prices remained stable with HBU/recreation parcels averaging $2,100 per acre.
The Manufacturing segment reported $9 million of operating income for the third quarter, compared to the $3 million of operating income reported for the third quarter of 2011. Profit growth was driven by improving demand and prices for the company’s plywood and medium density fiberboard (MDF) products. Sales volumes for plywood and MDF increased 18 percent and 43 percent respectively. Plywood prices increased 13 percent and MDF prices improved 5 percent during the same period. Average lumber prices increased 7 percent while lumber sales volume declined 8 percent compared to the third quarter of 2011.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV