Eagle Materials Inc. (NYSE: EXP) today reported financial results for the second quarter of fiscal 2013 which ended September 30, 2012. Notable items for the quarter include (all comparisons, unless noted, are with the prior-year’s second quarter):
- Revenues of $164.7 million, up 22%
- Segment operating earnings of $41.3 million, up 146%
Adjusted earnings per diluted share of $0.49, up 250%
- Adjusted earnings per share is a non-GAAP financial measure calculated by excluding non-routine items in the manner described in Attachment 5
- Total impact of non-routine items, including costs related to the pending acquisition of the Lafarge Target Business and litigation costs related to our lawsuit against the IRS, was $3.9 million, or $0.09 per diluted share
- Earnings per diluted share of $0.40, up 186%
Second quarter sales volumes improved across all major business lines and wallboard net sales prices increased 30% as compared to the prior year’s second quarter. Improved second quarter operating cash flow was used to fund capital expenditures, pay dividends and reduce debt which further strengthened our financial position. Eagle ended the quarter with a net debt-to-capitalization ratio of 29%.
As previously announced on September 26, 2012, Eagle entered into a definitive agreement with Lafarge North America to purchase Lafarge’s Sugar Creek, Missouri and Tulsa, Oklahoma cement plants, as well as related assets, which include six distribution terminals, two aggregates quarries, eight ready-mix concrete plants and a fly ash business (the “Lafarge Target Business”).
The purchase price is $446 million, subject to customary post-closing adjustments. Eagle expects that the acquisition will increase its U.S. annual cement capacity by approximately 60% to nearly 5 million tons. The acquisition is expected to close in November or December 2012, and is subject to receipt of required regulatory approvals, certain third-party consents and other customary conditions.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV