ATLANTA, Oct. 29, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Some parts of the Northwest have already seen snow, and as the cool temperatures start to settle in for the next few months, Orkin, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Rollins Inc. (NYSE: ROL), advises homeowners to pest-proof their homes now, because fall is when most insect and rodent pests seek shelter for the winter months.
"As the weather starts to cool, rodents and other pests move inside to overwinter and breed," said Pat Copps, Pacific division technical services director at Orkin. "A pregnant female mouse can produce an average of 8 pups in a litter, and a rat, 7 pups on average, and there are typically four to five litters per year. Their gestation period is about a month, so before you know it, one mouse can turn into a major problem for homeowners."
Mice can fit through an opening the size of a dime, so it is important to fix any cracks in and under siding, doors and windows. In addition to warmth, rodents enter homes looking for food and water. They prefer cereals and grains, but will eat just about anything.
As you prepare your home for winter, Orkin recommends the five following tips:
- Make sure all holes, gaps and cracks larger than ¼ of an inch are sealed.
- Replace door sweeps and make sure doors and windows close tightly.
- Clean out gutters and install gutter guards to prevent leaves and debris from accumulating.
- Store firewood as far from the home as possible.
- Trim branches, plants and bushes that hang over the home.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV