Sandy Forces Closure of Stock Markets Through Tuesday
Wind gusts of up to 79 miles per hour were reported at John F. Kennedy International Airport at around 9 p.m EDT.
The storm surge was reaching as high as 13.7 feet around 9 p.m. EDT at the Battery in New York City, which was threatening flooding throughout the city's Financial District. The New York Stock Exchange on Wall Street is located near the Battery.
The center said that tropical-storm-force winds were expected to continue north of Chatham, Mass. through much of New England and south of Chincoteague, Va. Hurricane-force wind gusts were expected in these areas.
The National Hurricane Center said the center of Sandy would move across Pennsylvania during the next day or so and then move into western New York on Tuesday night.A blizzard has also moved into regions of the Appalachians. Up to 10 inches of snow have fallen as far south as Newfound Gap, Tenn., according to weather.com. Forecasts suggest that areas above 2000 feet in the region could receive more than 1 foot of snow, and more than 2 feet of snow at elevations of more than 4000 feet. The National Hurricane Center said it forecast a steady weakening of the storm during the next 48 hours. -- Written by Joe Deaux in New York. >Contact by Email. Follow @JoeDeaux
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV