Now, it's true that transaction processing is complicated. It may be one of the last computing niches to move to cloud technology, and it will probably move there for redundancy rather than cost savings. But the trend is set, the moves will happen, and by 2020 even the markets will no longer be locked in any one data center.
So stay safe. Enjoy the time with your family if you can. Despite global warming this is probably the last time. The next time a hurricane hits New York, trading will continue. Given the 24-7 nature of the global Internet, it's likely the markets will have never shut down at all.
At the time of publication, the author had a position in IBM, MSFT and GOOG.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV