Amazon recently released its Kindle Fire HD, and is touting all the "benefits" of owning one, especially compared to the iPad Mini, which Apple announced last week. Ship time for the Wi-Fi enabled version of the iPad mini is now being quoted at two 2 weeks on Apple's Web site for both the white and black models, and all sizes.
Though initial reviews of the Kindle Fire HD were mixed, Amazon is certainly pulling no punches with its scathing side-by-side review of the iPad Mini, when compared to the 7-inch Kindle Fire HD. Amazon touted the difference in pricing, as the Kindle Fire HD starts at $199, compared to $329 for the 7.9-inch iPad Mini.I recently had the chance to play with the iPad Mini during the event, and the device is certainly worth its $329 price tag. Amazon Kindle Fire HD Fizzles Out: Review Amazon also talked up its display, which has 216 pixels per inch (ppi), compared to the iPad Mini's has 163 ppi. It mentions the ability to watch HD movies and TV as a plus for the Kindle Fire, dual stereo speakers and ultra-fast MIMO Wi-Fi. The "tablet wars" have intensified as Amazon, Apple, Google (GOOG) and Barnes & Noble (BKS) all recently unveiled 7-inch tablets in an attempt to gain market and wallet share. Apple currently dominates the tablet market with 68% of it, according to IDC. Verbal jabs are being thrown from all directions, including from Apple CEO Tim Cook. On Apple's recent earnings call, Cook took a shot at the Microsoft (MSFT) Surface, of which Microsoft released its Windows RT version last week. The CEO said that he has not played with the Microsoft Surface tablet, but said he has heard that it's "a fairly compromised and confusing product."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV