SOMERSET, N.J., Oct. 29, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Continuing its tradition of developing innovative lighting products and solutions, Philips today introduced hue, the world's first Web-enabled LED home lighting system available direct to the consumer. Offered exclusively through Apple stores beginning on October 30, the hue starter kit includes three LED bulbs that fit into any standard light fixture, a bridge that connects to existing wireless routers. Philips hue sets up in minutes and, with a quick download of the hue application, the system can be controlled from any iOS or Android device. From the app, consumers can remotely control their home lighting for added security, personalize their lighting experience with custom settings, or program timers to help manage daily schedules, all through the convenience of their smart device.
"Philips hue is a game changer in lighting," said Bruno Biasiotta, CEO and President of Philips Lighting North America. "Just as our experiences with phones, televisions and movies have evolved, thanks to hue, we'll never look at or interact with lighting in the same way again. At Philips, we continue to redefine the art of the possible with LED technology, and hue pushes the boundaries even more, not just in offering great light quality, but in how lighting can be digitized and integrated with our world to further simplify and enhance our lives."
Philips hue can:
- Eliminate the guesswork in what bulb to buy, offering tunable white light, from cool to warm based on personal preference
- Achieve a color rendering index of over 90 in the white range, closely mimicking the color qualities of an incandescent
- Provide more than 16 million colors to customize the lighting in each room
- Be set as a gentle wake up light or help one go to sleep
- Relive personal experiences by mimicking the colors in photos by simply dragging and dropping within the app
- Turn on/turn off lights when not at home
- Save light settings and easily recall them from a smart device
- Manage up to 50 hue bulbs from one device and allow each bulb to be controlled individually
- Reduce energy consumption with 8.5 watt bulbs that are 80% more energy efficient than traditional light bulbs
In home testing done in New York, Berlin and Shanghai, consumers highlighted hue's great light quality and programmable reminders, as well as the fact they could control their lighting from outside the home, as features they most appreciated. Moreover, consumers liked the ability to save personal light settings and recreate them at the touch of a button.hue includes 4 pre-programmed light settings based on Philips' research around lighting's optimal effects. These pre-programmed scenarios adjust the bulbs to the optimum shade and brightness of white light to relax, read or boost mood and energy.