Global Volume increase with Rise in Online Shopping; 55,600 Seasonal Workers to Help Deliver 527 Million Packages
MISSISSAUGA, ON, Oct. 29, 2012 /CNW/ - UPS (NYSE: UPS) will give its customers the gift of hassle-free holidays again this year as it prepares to deliver more than half a billion packages around the world this holiday season, an all-time record for the global logistics giant.
In the month leading up to Christmas, UPS expects to deliver 527 million packages surpassing last year's record of 480 million. The company predicts its busiest day of the year will be Thursday, Dec. 20, when an estimated 28 million packages will be delivered around the world - the equivalent of more than 300 packages delivered every second of the day. On an average day, UPS delivers 15.8 million packages.
To handle this massive increase in volume, UPS will hire more than 55,600 seasonal employees across Canada and the U.S. to work as driver helpers, walkers, package sorters, loaders or unloaders. For more information on job opportunities visit: upsjobs.com.UPS peak air day is projected to top 6.5 million deliveries compared to normal daily air volume of 3 million packages. UPS will fly more than 400 additional flight segments per day to ensure on-time delivery of holiday gifts across the world. Once again, trends show the popularity of e-commerce and mobile accessibility are likely to delay online shopping and compress deliveries into the final two weeks before Christmas. UPS expects online tracking requests to reach more than 69 million on its peak tracking day, Tuesday, Dec. 18, as holiday shipments surge. "UPS provides total logistics solutions for both shippers and consumers, whether they're doing business in online retail or traditional brick and mortar stores, or both," said Alan Gershenhorn, UPS chief sales and marketing officer. "These solutions make the entire transaction seamless, transparent and hassle-free, from the point of sale to final delivery as well as handling returns and repairs. This gives UPS customers the best possible experience by helping them better manage their already busy schedules, especially during the holidays." Give Mother Nature a Gift For environmentally-conscious gift givers, UPS offers carbon neutral shipping. For as little as five cents, customers can select UPS's carbon neutral option at the end of the online shipping process to support globally recognized environmental projects. Shipping Tips for Consumers Consumers can ensure their packages reach their destination on time by knowing a few key shipping deadlines. Most UPS ground packages will reach their destinations in one-to-four days. Last-minute shoppers who ship their packages Friday, Dec. 21, can rely on UPS Express services for delivery by Monday, Dec. 24. Just like the resourceful elves at the North Pole, UPS offers a variety of methods to help deliver a hassle-free holiday for consumers.
- Leave the Packing to UPS: With nearly 4,700 The UPS Store® and Mail Boxes Etc.® locations in Canada, the U.S., and Puerto Rico, shipping and packing help is always nearby. Participating The UPS Store locations offer the Pack & Ship Guarantee. If a participating location packs a customer's item, ships it via UPS and the item is damaged or lost in transit, the customer will be reimbursed for the item's value (subject to the lesser of actual value, replacement or repair cost), the cost of packaging materials and service plus the shipping fee.
- Click on UPS.com: Customers can visit UPS.com for do-it-yourself holiday shipping solutions and purchase and print shipping labels. Packages can be picked up by a UPS driver, placed in one of 40,000 UPS drop boxes or dropped off at a UPS Customer Centre, The UPS Store, Mail Boxes Etc. or other authorized shipping outlets.
- UPS Mobile - m.ups.com
- Facebook - facebook.com/ups and facebook.com/theupsstore
- Twitter - @UPS_Canada and @TheUPSStore
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV