(1) Represents share-based compensation expense associated with employee stock options, and for the twelve months ended September 30, 2012 and December 31, 2011, also includes the portion of annual non-cash incentive compensation that eligible employees elected to receive as common equity in lieu of their 2011 cash bonus.
(2) Represents expenses incurred related to 3G’s acquisition of Burger King Holdings, Inc., the Company’s indirect wholly-owned subsidiary, in October 2010.
(3) Represents severance benefits, other severance-related costs incurred in connection with the Company’s global restructuring efforts, the voluntary resignation severance program offered for a limited time to eligible employees based at its Miami headquarters and additional reductions in corporate and field positions in the U.S. This restructuring plan was completed in 2011.
(4) Represents severance-related costs, compensation costs for overlap staffing, travel expenses, consulting and training costs incurred in connection with the Company’s efforts to expand and enhance its U.S. field organization. This project was completed in 2011.
(5) Represents costs associated with an ongoing project to realign the Company’s global restaurant portfolio by refranchising Company-owned restaurants and establishing strategic partners and joint ventures to accelerate development. These costs primarily include severance related costs and fees for professional services.
(6) Represents share-based compensation expense related to awards granted during the three and nine months ended September 30, 2012 resulting from the increase in equity value of Burger King Worldwide Holdings, Inc. implied by the business combination agreement and professional fees and other transaction costs associated with the business combination agreement.
(7) Adjusted income tax expense for the three and nine months ended September 30, 2012 and 2011 is calculated using the Company’s statutory tax rate in the jurisdiction in which the costs were incurred.