Global Stocks Fall; NYSE Closes Trading Floor
"I think they blame the nonresident buyers, mainly from China's mainland, for driving up the prices of residential properties in Hong Kong," said Francis Lun, managing director of Lyncean Holdings in Hong Kong. "But any kind of control is not good. You will distort the market. The key is to increase the supply."
The tax will also apply to companies to close a loophole that has seen companies buying up residences and then transferring them to nonresidents.
Hong Kong-listed Henderson Land Development Co. and Sino Land Co. both plummeted 6.4 percent.
Japanese car maker Honda Motor Corp. fell 4.7 percent after lowering its forecasts for fiscal year 2013 due to a recent sales drop in China sparked by a territorial dispute.On Wall Street on Friday, stocks finished mixed after investors found little to like in weak corporate earnings reports and news of only tepid growth in the U.S. economy in the third quarter. The government estimated that the U.S. economy expanded at a 2 percent annual rate from July through September. That was better than the previous quarter but not strong enough to bring down the unemployment rate. Benchmark oil for December delivery was down 68 cents to $85.60 per barrel in electronic trading on the New York Mercantile Exchange. The contract rose 23 cents to finish at $86.28 in New York on Friday. In currencies, the dollar fell to 79.58 yen from 79.66 yen late Friday in New York. The euro fell to $1.2894 from $1.2932. ___ Follow Pamela Sampson on Twitter at http://twitter.com/pamelasampson
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV