Equitable Gas Company Announces Severe Weather Safety Tips
PITTSBURGH, Oct. 28, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- With severe weather expected in its service territory over the next few days leading to possible electrical outages, Equitable Gas reminds its customers to never heat their homes or cook food through methods that may be unsafe.
Carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning can take place should customers attempt to cook or heat their homes through unsafe methods:
- Never use a gas range or oven for heating. Using a gas range or oven for heating can cause a buildup of CO inside your home.
- Never use a charcoal, propane or barbecue grill indoors.
- Never use portable propane camp stoves, lanterns or heaters indoors.
- Never use a generator inside your home, basement, or garage.
- Customers should have a battery-operated CO detector in their home and the batteries should be checked and replaced each spring and fall.
Carbon monoxide is colorless and odorless and is produced when fossil fuels are burned. Although carbon monoxide is not flammable, it is dangerous and can be deadly. Carbon monoxide quickly weakens a person's body with flu-like symptoms such as headache, dizziness, nausea and sleepiness. If these symptoms are experienced and can't be explained, get fresh air immediately and call 911.
To help avoid problems, customers are urged to follow these basic tips:
- If you smell natural gas outside or inside your home or business, immediately leave the area and from a safe location call Equitable Gas at 1-800-253-3928 or 911.
- Keep all natural gas vents unobstructed and free of debris.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV