Equitable Gas Company Announces Severe Weather Safety Tips
PITTSBURGH, Oct. 28, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- With severe weather expected in its service territory over the next few days leading to possible electrical outages, Equitable Gas reminds its customers to never heat their homes or cook food through methods that may be unsafe.
Carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning can take place should customers attempt to cook or heat their homes through unsafe methods:
- Never use a gas range or oven for heating. Using a gas range or oven for heating can cause a buildup of CO inside your home.
- Never use a charcoal, propane or barbecue grill indoors.
- Never use portable propane camp stoves, lanterns or heaters indoors.
- Never use a generator inside your home, basement, or garage.
- Customers should have a battery-operated CO detector in their home and the batteries should be checked and replaced each spring and fall.
Carbon monoxide is colorless and odorless and is produced when fossil fuels are burned. Although carbon monoxide is not flammable, it is dangerous and can be deadly. Carbon monoxide quickly weakens a person's body with flu-like symptoms such as headache, dizziness, nausea and sleepiness. If these symptoms are experienced and can't be explained, get fresh air immediately and call 911.
To help avoid problems, customers are urged to follow these basic tips:
- If you smell natural gas outside or inside your home or business, immediately leave the area and from a safe location call Equitable Gas at 1-800-253-3928 or 911.
- Keep all natural gas vents unobstructed and free of debris.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts