Haunted House? 65% Might Still Buy
BOSTON ( TheStreet) -- Two-thirds of U.S. consumers would consider buying a haunted house -- but would generally expect big discounts to make up for things that go bump in the night, says a poll conducted just in time for Halloween.
Realtor.com's online, nonscientific survey of 1,910 users found that just 35% of respondents said a home's haunted status would scare them away.
By contrast, 32% said they'd consider buying and another 33% said they're open to considering a property despite its rattling chains or moans of the undead.
"It's really interesting that so many people would be into purchasing a home even if it was rumored to be haunted," Realtor.com's Lexie Puckett says. "Essentially, more people were open to the idea than not."Still, even respondents who didn't rule out buying haunted houses admitted some things would scare them away more than others. While just 38% said they'd hex a deal if a house had unexplained warm or cold spots, 65% would run like fraidy cats from homes with strange voices. Other findings:
- 64% wouldn't buy a home with levitating objects;
- 59% would avoid places with visible ghosts;
- 57% would nix houses that gave them "strange sensations";
- 56% would take a pass on homes where objects inexplicably moved from where they were left;
- 55% wouldn't consider properties with flickering lights or appliances;
- 52% would skip houses with unexplained noises, such as footsteps or slamming doors.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV