AVMF Urges Preparedness For Pet Owners In Hurricane's Path
SCHAUMBURG, Ill., Oct. 28, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The American Veterinary Medical Foundation (AVMF) is urging pet owners to remember their pets when preparing for Hurricane Sandy. While large scale evacuations may not take place, the AVMF cautions that being confined to your home also requires preparation.
The AVMF offers the following advice:
- Should you have to evacuate, take your pets with you,
- All pets should have a collar and tag or be identifiable through an up-to-date microchip or tattoo,
- Have an ample supply of food, bottled water and any medications,
- Keep a photo of your pet(s) and a physical description in case they become lost.
Should you have to evacuate, remember to have on hand the following:
- A leash, collar and/or harness for each pet,
- A collapsible cage for each pet that includes owner identification and proper bedding,
- A litter pan for cats along with a scoop,
- Food, water, medications and feeding bowls,
- Veterinary records,
- First aid kit,
- And don't forget a can opener.
Pet owners should pre-identify an evacuation meeting site and can use www.myveterinarian.com to find veterinary medical and boarding services that may be necessary in an emergency.The AVMF sponsors the American Veterinary Medical Assistance Teams, which provide on the ground help in larger disasters and which has trained animal disaster response teams in states affected by this storm. Additional disaster preparedness materials can be found at the American Veterinary Medical Association website www.avma.org. If you want to know more about the disaster relief that the AVMF offers to veterinarians who provide medical services and care to animals affected by disasters, visit www.avmf.org. The AVMF is the charitable arm of the AVMA. For nearly 50 years, the AVMF has been dedicated to embracing and advancing the well-being and medical care of animals. Charitable contributions and support to the Foundation help veterinarians help animals.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV