Even for Apple, this is a tough, if not impossible, nut to crack.
Then, there's the issue of cutting royalty deals with labels.
The labels have little reason to give Apple what it wants: more flexibility than Pandora and a lower royalty rate in exchange for a share in ad revenue.
Apple has fleeced the music guys before. Now, like television executives in Hollywood, the labels are playing hardball on a deal.If Apple really wants to do this, it likely will hammer out an agreement, but Pandora doesn't go away the day Apple signs on. The Apple competitive threat poses no more of a threat than dozens of others already in the marketplace. Heck, Clear Channel promotes its iHeartRadio 24/7 on roughly 850 radio stations across the country broadcasting to 237 million listeners each month, and it has had virtually no impact on Pandora's growth. The present debate over royalties and progress of the Internet Radio Fairness Act in Congress should (and does) concern Pandora as well as investors more than any competitive encroachment. That's what needs to end well. At the time of publication, the author was long P. Follow @RoccoPendola
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV