Hurricane Sandy Churns Up East Coast
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Hurricane Sandy continued to churn north in the Atlantic, threatening to bring fierce winds, driving rain and even snow to the Middle Atlantic and Northeast states.
Officials urged residents on the Eastern Seaboard to prepare for the monster storm, which the National Weather Service said would approach the coast of the Middle Atlantic states late Monday.
The hurricane has already killed at least 58 people in the Caribbean, according to CBS News.
States of emergency have been declared in Connecticut, Maine, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Virginia and Washington, The Washington Post reported.> > Bull or Bear? Vote in Our Poll Residents up and down the East Coast scrambled to buy or borrow power generators, stock up on food and water, and board up their windows. And officials have ordered residents to evacuate low-lying coastal areas, including Fire Island in New York and New Jersey's coastal barrier islands. As of 11 p.m. EDT Saturday, the storm's center was about 360 miles east-southeast of Charleston, S.C., according to the National Weather Service. Sandy was packing maximum sustained winds of 75 mph and was moving northeastward near 14 mph, parallel to the Atlantic Coast, the National Weather Service added. Forecasters expect the hurricane to turn north on Sunday night and then toward the north-northwest on Monday. The National Weather Service also said that hurricane-force winds were extending up to 105 miles from the hurricane's center, while tropical storm-force winds were extending up to 520 miles from the center.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV