Jim Cramer's Best Blogs
Oct 27, 2012 | 01:40 PM EDT
A Market Beholden to Fear Posted at 11:55 a.m. EDT on Friday, Oct. 26 When is enough selling enough? When do you oversell? I keep thinking of some of the quarters that were reported and how sellers came in both before and after, and how wrong the sellers were before and how wrong they could be after. I keep thinking about two different examples this week that, frankly, are horrifying to me as an investor because they show how the market is totally beholden to scared people who don't know what they fear other than the fear of other sellers. The first instance is Broadcom (BRCM - Get Report). When it reported, the quarter was a clean beat and raise, mostly because it is levered to all of the sales being made in smartphones, and Apple (AAPL - Get Report) and Samsung are its biggest and best clients. We all know it has the finest technology, and CEO Scott McGregor is highly regarded in the industry. When the company reported, it immediately ticked up, as it should have given it's the only semiconductor to deliver on expectations and then some. The stock moved to $34 from $33.50 in the few minutes between the opening and when I interviewed McGregor. I joked with him how in this market, even as the company totally delivered on its forecast, there would be someone disappointed and another one scared, so why not take some of your $2 billion dollar cash treasure chest and go $33 big for 1 million shares. It was an absurd suggestion given where the stock was going. But the next day, the stock traded at $31.50.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV