Former Senior Counsel To The Maryland Insurance Administration Gives Critical Preparation Tips As Hurricane Sandy Approaches
* Make only temporary repairs. The company may deny your claim if you make permanent repairs before it inspects. So, if you're not sure whether your company considers a repair to be permanent, ask your company (in writing) before starting any repair work. The cost of these repairs and for storing personal belongings is likely covered by your policy.
* Be present for the inspection. It's a good idea to be home when the adjuster performs his or her inspection. Feel free to ask your contractor to be there with you to discuss estimates with the adjuster or the company.
* Keep all receipts. You must provide evidence that you bought replacement items and incurred expenses due to losing the use of all or part of your property. Receipts will help you get reimbursed more quickly for out of pocket expenses.
Other important steps to keep safe during the storm:
Develop a family disaster plan before the storm hits
- Discuss the types of hazards that could affect your family. Know your home's vulnerability to flooding and wind.
- Locate the safest areas of your home - or - the safest place in your community in case of a hurricane.
- Determine escape routes from your home and places to meet.
- Have an out-of-state friend or family contact, so all your family members have a single point of contact.
- Post emergency numbers by your phones.
- Have a plan for what to do with your pets if you need to evacuate. This includes having a pet carrier for each animal, if applicable. Make sure your pet has a collar with identification and that you have a recent photo in case it gets lost.
- First Aid kit and medicines
- Non-perishable food items, snacks and disposable utensils
- Blankets and pillows
- Flashlight and batteries
- A battery-operated, weather band radio
- A small tool set
- Also, keep a full tank of gas in your car in case you need to evacuate immediately.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV